Restoring A Biedermeier Tambour Desk Part 2

Replacing the missing gallery rails

I made a simple scratch stock  from a hacksaw blade and a piece of scrap timber. The hacksaw blade was ground to the profile I required. I then draw it up and down the length of the rail to scrape the profile out on both sides.  This could have been done with a router but I find this method far quicker on short lengths of timber.

CIMG2506A

The rail was then papered with 180/240 grit, dampened with a cloth to raise the grain and  repapered using 240 grit.

CIMG2509A

The rails were tenoned into the four corner posts.

CIMG2500

Turning the gallery spindles

CIMG2512When turning the spindles, I stained and friction polished them on the lathe to save time later, again I dampened to raise the grain and repapered.

CIMG2515Sixteen spindles later …

CIMG2518

Turning the feet

These were turned using some reclaimed feet.  They were turned in the same style, but the size was reduced.

CIMG2487

The finished feet

DSCF0536a

Restoring A Biedermeier Tambour Desk Part 3

Restoring A Biedermeier Tambour Desk Part 1

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Restoring A Biedermeier Tambour Desk Part 2

  1. Pingback: Restoring A Biedermeier Tambour Desk (Part 1) | Antique Mike

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s